Ideas have consequences. Many of the events of our day are the consequences of the ideas people have about truth, God, humanity, and how the world works. In this course, students study the ideas and beliefs promoted in our culture today. They explore how they are applied to many different areas of life. Students first study the core beliefs of six different worldviews, then apply those worldviews to ten disciplines that are basic to decisions made throughout life.
Not only is the Christian worldview studied extensively, but it is also held up as the standard by which to judge all other worldviews and disciplines. Students are equipped to understand the people and ideas of their times, and to engage and defend the Christian worldview in the public sphere. The content for this course comes from the Understanding the Times app produced by Summit Ministries. Students will use this e-text, which is accessible from within the course, as their primary source.
Recommended Grade Level(s):
Course Types Available:
- 1 Credit – Full course (1 credit, 12 weeks minimum / 12 months maximum)
- ½ Credit – 1st semester only (0.5 credits, 6 weeks minimum / 6 months maximum)
- ½ Credit – 2nd semester only (0.5 credits, 6 weeks minimum / 6 months maximum)
– Jeff Myers, David A. Noebel, Understanding the Times (ebook)
*The price of this course includes access to the required etext listed above. The etext is
accessible from within the course. See course for details.
* Common household items, and access to research materials as well as word processing and
presentation software, may be required for the completion of lab activities and/or other
assignments. See course for details.